- There is a term that some may not know called the "the work triangle" which is an easy solution to determine where certain appliances should go, but it is not the only solution. The work triangle's main focus is to keep the three main appliances (refrigerator, stove and sink) all within arms reach of each other.
- The idea of the work triangle is that you will retrieve an item from the fridge, let's say some asparagus, you take it over to the sink and wash it off, then you prep it with some oil and salt, then pop it into the stove.
- The idea being that you did not have to take many steps in order to accomplish this process. The work triangle works well if you have a small to average size kitchen because everything is already closely connected.
- If you do have a smaller kitchen you might also want to consider ordering smaller appliances. The standard oven in the U.S. is thirty inches, but what is stopping you from ordering maybe one closer to twenty-seven inches to save on a little space?
- What if you have a larger kitchen with more appliances? For larger kitchens it is ok to have different zones with their own individual work triangles. In a larger kitchen you are probably going to have more than one sink, so you have the possibility to set up two different work triangles using these two different sinks.
- You could add a smaller sink next to the refrigerator to prep vegetables and fruits. With your larger sink being closer to microwave and "clean-up zone".
- If you do have a larger kitchen space you may have opted for a double oven, which is awesome! It is ok for that double oven to be a little out of the way, maybe next to the pantry. A double oven is going to take up quite a bit of space and you do not want to put that right in the middle of your kitchen, it is not practical.
- A fridge is another item you might have difficulty finding an ideal space for because it is a big item. I recommend having it central in your kitchen, but this may not be possible based on a number of cabinets you have decided to go with. So this is another appliance that may have to be put off to the side just a bit depending on it's size.
Less Popular Appliances
- If you have appliances that are not used as often, like a wine fridge it is ok to put it on the side. You do not need to take up valuable space in your kitchen with a wine fridge that you may only use once or twice a week.
- If you decide to add a large hood over your range, it adds a really cool aesthetic feature because hoods come in so many fashions and varieties. Make sure your kitchen is large enough for a hood though, otherwise it might look out of place.
- If you do decide to go with a smaller kitchen I recommend omitting these appliances all together and just sticking with the basics because not all of these are necessity and it is important to use every ounce of space you have if you have a small kitchen.
When it comes to your appliance layout the main attribute to consider is the size of your kitchen layout. If you have a larger kitchen your options are going to be greater, but with a smaller kitchen, I recommend trying to stick with the work triangle, as I believe it will help you out the most when it comes to cooking efficiently.