All In One Remodel
So if your house needs a total remodel, and you are thinking that you want to get it done in one shot, check out these pros when it comes to this remodeling strategy:
1. The number one pro I think you will find is that you only have to deal with the construction phase once. Everything is getting done at the same time and you are able to plan around your remodel accordingly.
2. Because you are choosing to do everything at once, you may get a better deal for the entire project rather than doing it piece by piece. This is a definite benefit for the good 'ol pocketbook.
3. You could stick with the same subcontractors throughout the house. If you are working on say your master bath and kitchen at once, there is a high chance the subcontractor that does the drywall in the kitchen will do the drywall in the bathroom. It is always a bonus to have the same person coming in and out of your house because they already understand who you are, how you work and what you want.
4. If you need a permit, permits expire so if you get one for multiple projects at once you won't have to pay for another when its time for your next remodel.
Now if you don't think you can handle all the construction at once, you might consider to do your remodel in phases - which also has a lot of pros to go along with this strategy. Check them out:
1. The first major pro would be the amount of money you would be throwing out at one time. You can save up for your kitchen remodel, go through with it, then wait a few years and save up for your master bathroom remodel and then do that. That way you may not stretch yourself too thin when it comes to your finances.
2. Phase remodels offer more flexibility when it comes to your selection choices. What happens if you install those brand new kitchen cabinets and a few months down the road you realize, "hey I might not want those in my bathroom too," well the good news is you haven't ordered them yet! So you can change your mind all the way up until the remodeling process starts.
3. Less time construction is going on in your house. However, you will have to go through it again when the next project is scheduled.
4. Remodeling a home can be an exhausting process, we understand that. Doing your remodel in phases allows you, as a home owner to breath in between the different phases of your remodel. This can sometimes be healthy and alleviate some of the stress the remodel may be causing you.
Both a phase remodel and an all in one remodel have benefits, personally I am the type of person who would want to get it all done in one shot. I would like subcontractors that I have come to know come into my house, rather than having to meet new ones during each phase.
Let me know what you think about the two different remodeling strategies. Did you experience any difficulties when remodeling in phases or all in one? Share in the comments!