This is probably one of my favorite kitchen styles, simply because I love everything about cottages. I find them to be cute and comfy and basically stuff of fairytales. The fact that I can convert all of those ideals into a personal kitchen sounds amazing so I just had to research to find out what it takes to make a kitchen have that cozy, cottage feel to it. Below are some of my favorites.
- Wood: This is such a huge factor in cottage kitchens! Wood floors and shelving help bring the overall look together. Beadboards are also hugely popular in cottage kitchens, they're everywhere when looking at examples from the walls to even the cabinets themselves.
- Cabinetry: Painted cabinets are really popular especially if they're white (or shades of white). Exposed cabinetry is also popular. Open shelving is practically the trademark of cottage kitchens!
- Vintage/retro: Maybe one of the reasons I associate cottages with the stuff of fairytales is because of how old-timey it is. Elements like vintage lighting and retro sinks can really help pull off the cozy vibe and of course don't forget the vintage china!
- Accessories: This is an aspect that really just depends on your overall taste. Lots of people opt for handmade accessories while others use a lot of wicker baskets or wicker materials in general as their decorations. Some kitchens even have an overhead for hanging pots/pans.
- Colors: Aside from the given white and off-white, cottage kitchens tend to go towards pastels and even cool colors. Colors like blues, greens, and pinks make up the majority of the kitchen wall colors. Of course some styles went for wallpaper instead of painted walls but the choice is up to you.
Overall there's different looks that can be acquired when creating a cottage kitchen. Some people go for more of a classic grandma vibe while others go to more of a seaside cottage look and others even go to a feminine or "doll house" kind of kitchen. There's all kinds of possibilities for this style! Check out some more inspiration here if you're interested.
Til Next Time,